StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I am cutting an opening in the second floor above our

Customer Question

I am cutting an opening in the second floor above our current foyer to let light through from the dormer above. The hole would be bigger than a couple of the TJI floor joists that currently run front to back on the house, so the front wall is load bearing (not moving the wall, and obviously no floor so no weight from the floor above - but want to support the weight of the roof distributed properly at the front door/stairs area without issue.) Can they be cut, or should I add some type of sistered beam along the place where they are cut?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you. Do you have a sketch or picture of exactly what you want to do?
You talk about cutting the second floor joists, but supporting the roof. I want to be sure I understand what you mean.