walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I bought a Condo 2 months ago. Within the past 2 weeks I started

Customer Question

I bought a Condo 2 months ago. Within the past 2 weeks I started noticing a noticeable sloping to the floor in one direction across the condo. No real inside cracks are visible on any of the inside walls but there is a crack visible on one of the exterior walls. Condo was built in the 1970s but supposedly had foundation work done last year to fix some problems. I realize I may need to get a professional to come out and take a look but I'm not sure who to call and if this issue will fall on myself or the HOA to look into as it seems like more of a building issue?
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
attaching pictures of the outside cracks
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I can help
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me take a look at your pictures
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Does that window have issues when you try and open it?Is the window right above the larger lower cracked area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the window is right above the larger lower cracked area. The window does not have any trouble opening at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This slant appeared within the last 2 week and is very sudden. Its got me worried.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
From your pictures, that horizontal cracking is very significant, especially if it has happened suddenly over a couple of weeks. You need to have a Structural Engineer come out for a site visit right away to inspect your structure to make sure it is safe. What city and state are you near. I can look up a few companies that should be able to help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in San Diego, California. Thanks, ***** ***** be great. Since its a Condo I believe they're responsible for the outside of the foundation but it would be good to get someone out.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Below is a web link to the Structural Engineer's Association of San Diego's small project referral List: http://www.seaosd.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Small-Project-Referral-List-2015-2016.pdf
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Take a look and give a few of them a call to see which one of them can help you. If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again, the condo is an attached condo. The condo itself is built on a slight slope and the slant appears to go in the direction of the slope. This sounds like it might be expensive if even possible to level the floors out and its driving me crazy.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I would have someone come out ASAP! If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have any more questions.