StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I'm really just looking to figure out what size beam I need

Customer Question

I'm really just looking to figure out what size beam I need to replace a load bearing wall.
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: exterior wall at the back of the house.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: yes but it's hard to describe. the current 2x4's holding the weight of 13 feet include a doorway and window and do not sit on the foundation of the house. the current wall extends about 3 feet past the foundation, so the second floor and attic rest on the joists about 3 feet inside the current wall. Does that make sense the way I described? I'm shocked it even holds it up. so I want to put the beam in 3 feet inside the current wall so it sits just below the second floor and attic and directly above the foundation. figured it would be a better configuration.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Structural Engineer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello.
Do you want wood or steel?What is the joist length support?Will it support the second floor, attic, and roof?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wood.12foot joists. yes, second floor and attic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wood. 12 foot joists. yes, second floor and attic.
What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading? Will it support any ceramic tile?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Buffalo, NY. plenty of snow. no tile on the second floor or attic. However, it will support the bathroom with tub. Were you able to read about where the current wall is set? and how this beam will set?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will we be able to email back and forth on this conversation if I lose connection or something?
Hello. I apologize for the delay. I didn't receive a notice that you responded.
Do you mean 3' inside or outside? The first part sounded like the exterior wall is outside the foundation, but then you said inside. Can you post a picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can send a pic. The current wall on the first floor sits about 3 feet outside the foundation and 3 feet outside the walls for the second floor and attic. There was an overhang at the back of the house that covered the window and door that the wall is part of.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me know if these 2 images come across. I can explain them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so in the 4464, on the right is the current wall to the studs. On the left, you see the doorway to my dining room. The edge of that doorway (just to the right of the white) is the edge of the house. below is the foundation and above is the second floor wall and then attic. The joists run past the edge of the house for the overhang. I'm taking the overhang out and want to put the beam in to match up with the true edge of the house from foundation to second floor. The room to the right is just an open room with pitched roof that attaches around the second floor. So I feel like I'm actually making it more structurally sound by putting the beam over the foundation. Currently, that wall doesn't sit over anything in the basement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checking. Did you get the images and the description above?
I just saw them now.
The the floor joists cantilevered past the foundation wall to carry the studs to the right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes. Where I want to place the beam, at either end of the beam in the basement would be the foundation of the house. currently, the joints in the basement run to where the current studs are, but there is nothing under them at the ends, so the foundation they are running across is what's holding the weight in the basement. I want to move that support to the true end of the house so that everything runs vertically up from the basement floor to the attic. Foundation at either end in basement, to studs at either end of beam, and beam runs across 13feet of joists. I really think I will be gaining support for the house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are my updates to this chat coming through?
Can you take a picture from the outside?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Outside of what? Can you just tell me what type of board is needed to cover the setup I've given you? It's a 13foot wall being replaced with a beam. It carries the weight of second floor and attic. No ceramic tiles. Both ends of the beam will be supported all the way through to the basement by full concrete foundation. There will be no overhang. The joists will all end at the beam. the Beam will be in line with the entire house from foundation to roof.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Is that cantilevered portion being removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. it won't exist when i move everything in 3 feet to line up from foundation in the basement to attic. No overhang and the joists will all end at the beam.
5.2.5" x 16" 2.0E LVL will work and limit deflection to 1/4" under a full design load.
Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.