Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

It's a coastal house. A 41'x28', 2 and half story, 2 fa

Customer Question
mily house will be sit...
It's a coastal house. A 41'x28', 2 and half story, 2 fa mily house will be sit on piling/girder. On one side, 11.5"W (41' long) Girder is sitting on 5 pilings. This side of the girder will need to be trimmed about 3/5 (leave 2/5) in between pilings to gain enough clearance for car access.
My questions are: 1) In order to provide enough support for the whole house, will adding a microlam be the solution?
2) If so, what size of the microlam do I need to install underneath the house, above the girder?
It would be greatly appreciated if a structural Engineer could answer my question.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/12/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Do you have any drawings?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Attached is the drawing.
You can't have such a large notch out of the beam. The NDS (the wood design code) limits notches to much smaller than what you show.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't understand. It's only 9.83ft between each piling post. Please look again. What's the microlam size do I need to hold 2 and half story on this side?
It's not just about the size that's left. Having an abrupt change in geometry is not allowed because it causes stress risers and can initiate splitting of the wood and a failure.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. I was asking about what microlam to add. I do need to trim the girder. We are thinking of adding 4 microlam beams on top (each 9.83ft long, that's the distance between 2 pilings), total ~41 ft, the whole length of this side, so girder can be ignored. What size of the microlam can do the same job as existing girder? In another word, what size of the microlam do I need to use in order to replace/ignore existing girder?
I'm with you.
What is the size of the existing girder so I can match the strength and stiffness with an LVL?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The current girder size is 5.25" thick x 11.875" wide. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could you let me know when I am expected to get an answer? Thanks
walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant