walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Want to put in a 40 foot steel beam in a new addition (40

Customer Question

Want to put in a 40 foot steel beam in a new addition (40 wide X 42 deep) that will allow a loft above the main floor area out 12' from the back wall. Overhead area to be
used for mainly for storage of hay bales and a 1,000 plastic tank for captured rain
water storage. Guessing weight load would likely never exceed 12,000 pounds, but would
thus factor a load rating of at least twice that.... can you advise as to what size beam would be required to free span that distance for that weight load?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I can help

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me how high the hay bales will be stacked?

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

What floor joist will you be using to span the 12'?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had not decided on any particular size floor joist to span the 12 foot stretch as of yet... Wasn't sure of standard beam sizes to work with and ratings. Was planning on calling the folks at Jeanette Steel to spec out/scope out options, but ran across this site and thought I'd give it a try first...
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I am headed out to dinner right now, can I get back with you a bit later this evening?

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I am back online

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Upper loft area expected to be 11 or 12 high.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You can use a W24x68 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 40’ clear span beam. The beam is 9” wide and 23.75” deep. It weighs 68 pounds per foot of beam length. You will need to provide a 2”x10” wood nailer bolted to the top flange of the steel beam. You will need to provide solid mechanical connections of each of the floor joists to the wood nailer on top of the steel beam. This will provide the needed lateral bracing of the compression flange of the steel beam. You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your column supports, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would this same beam be the correct one to use if width was increased from 40 to 50 feet wide?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

No, the beam would need to be much larger.