Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I want to remove 14' of bearing to open from the dining room

Customer Question
to my den which is...
I want to remove 14' of bearing to open from the dining room to my den which is an existing room addition. Plus want it to be flush ceiling, with no expose beam. The beam will sit on the outer top plates of two bearing walls. I have a gabble engineer truss roof "A" FRAME which is sitting on the bearing wall I want to remove. Note: This wall use to be the back wall with a 6' sliding door opening before the room addition. The 6' opening is now the entrance to the den. The proposed opening will be on the right side corner wall of the house, to the left side of the corner of the existing 6' opening. so basically removing additional 8' of bearing wall, which will make it a 14 foot opening in to the existing room addition. Please let me know if you need additional information. Thank You
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
3/28/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
What is the truss span on each side of the beam?
What is the city and state do I can look at snow load?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure of the question, but the total span of the engineer gabble truss is 40'. No snow area where I live in California. I have attach a drawing, hopefully it will help

What is the length of the members framing into the truss?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know what your question means, but the overall length of my Engineer Gabble truss is a 40feet span sitting on the outer bearing wall, and the peek of the truss is 10feet high.

Is the truss parallel or perpendicular to the wall? How many of these trusses are there and what is the spacing? Is it just plywood on top of them?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One truss is parallel to the wall which is sitting on it. I have 1/2" Plywood with composition asphalt roof shingle.

You say one truss is parallel? Does that mean others are perpendicular?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All of the trusses run in the same direction, from the front of the house to the back of the house. (parallel). As far as how many truss are on the house, there must be around 30 trusses. No trusses are running perpendicular with the bearing wall which is in question.
If you mean the wall directly below the gable end truss, why do you think that is load beading wall?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the wall is directly below the gable end truss, and this is the one I want to remove 14' of wall. The reason I know it is a bearing wall, because this use to be the back wall of the house, before I added my room addition. At that time I dug to expose the footing, so that I could tie-into the footing with rebar for the new room addition.

Is the wall supporting floor joists? It can't be bearing for the roof.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No floor joists involved. It is a single story house. I think at this time I will just leave the bearing wall in. Thanks for help any ways.
It can't be a bearing wall if it isn't supporting any framing
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant