walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Can I sister a 9 1/4" micro lam 24' with a 2" x 10" joist

Customer Question

Can I sister a 9 1/4" micro lam 24' with a 2" x 10" joist that is cut in the middle?
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: we are remodeling a kitchen and found a dropped header in the soffit at the mid span of the room. There are currently spanning 12' each. We want to sister in a micro lam every 16" on center and eliminate the dropped header
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Structural Engineer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none of the applications in the drawing apply. I currently have a dropped header across a kitchen the customer wants to remove. The floor joints are 2" x 10" x 12' with the header supporting the middle of each 24' run. I want to sister 9 1/4" x 24' microlams to the existing joists and screw them together and remove the dropped header. This is our only option as the supply ducts come up one wall and run the entire 24' length to heat the bedroom above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
trying to get this done this morning.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the huge delay. I was having major internet issues and had to have Verizon come out and replace my can-tenna. I am looking at your information right now.

Let me know if you still need my help on this.

If so, a few pictures of the configuration would help me a lot.

I want to make sure I fully understand your layout before I check your proposal. Thanks