Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

My contractor is installing our front door and there is a

Customer Question
great deal of space (1"...
My contractor is installing our front door and there is a great deal of space (1" or greater) between the door frame and the house framing. He inserted a few wood shimmy's and plans to insulate the hole and that is it. He said having a rough opening in common and the space is normal but I am not convinced.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
3/8/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello

The rough opening is commonly a little larger than the finished opening. As long as it's properly shimmed, fastened, and insulated it is not a problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. Can you please be more specific (in measurements) as to what is alittle larger than rough is acceptable. Also please describe in more detail what is considered proper shim and fastening.

What exactly is your concern?

The gap looks very large up close and much smaller with the whole picture. I would ask him to install a full height strip to close up that gap.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it too large or acceptable, I am not clear? How can you install full height strips with the nails protruding?

The door can come down and be reinstalled after the shim strip is placed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you are saying that the space is too great in your professional opinion. You advise that the door should be removed and full length strips should be placed to shrink the gaps and then the door should be reinstalled. Is that correct?

I would let a gap go to be shimmed up to 3/4". Over that, I would ask for a finish board of 3/4" thickness be installed full height.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant