Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

If i had a 6" slab in a building and I put a steel structure…

Customer Question
If i had a 6"...
If i had a 6" slab in a building and I put a steel structure with 4 legs that had base plates 12x12" and the psi of the concrete 3500 the footings are about 12'x14' apart how much can it suporte per leg and how much total weight
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/7/2016
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

what will this steel structure be supporting?

Do you have an answer yet. It is a structure for a silo

Sorry for the delay.

Is there any reinforcing steel in the 6" concrete slab?

We can do a phone call if you are available, let me know.

Take a look at Item 20 in the Table attached below:

If the slab was designed for Heavy Manufacturing, the slab would have been designed for a general Live Load of 250 psf and a maximum Point Load of 3,000 lbs.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

So in Theory, a 4-leg Silo could weight up to a max. of 12,000 lbs

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any more questions.