Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

What size steel beam ( with 3/8" steel plate) 10 feet garage…

Customer Question
what size steel beam (...
what size steel beam ( with 3/8" steel plate) for a 10 feet garage door opening with 6 to 8 feet of 12 " masonry above
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
3/7/2016
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

Will this beam only support the masonry, or will there be floor joists or roof rafters supported above the beam?

Does the masonry block above have grouted cells?

Steel roof joists above, not in area was told Joists run along side of wall but I should base on bearing on wall to be safe n cores not filled solid

Few more questions:

1. What city and state do you live in for possible snow load consideration.

2. What is the span of the roof joists (exterior wall to exterior wall)?

3. What is your roofing material?

Let me know when you come back online

1 Warmister Pa.
2 approximately 20ft ext wall to support beam
3 bituminous built up roof

Sorry for the delay, I have been traveling for the last couple of days.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You can use a W6x16 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 10’ span beam. The beam is 4” wide and 6.25” deep. It weighs 16 pounds per foot of beam length.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks