Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I want to remove a load bearing wall which supports 2" x 4"

Customer Question
x 15' 10" ceiling joists...
I want to remove a load bearing wall which supports 2" x 4" x 15' 10" ceiling joists on one side and 2" x 4" x 9' 10" ceiling joists on the other one. There is also a 4" x 10" x 15' 10" with a strut to the center 2' x 6" of the roof.This is a single level house. Because of the supports available, the beam can be either 18' or 23' long. I am thinking to use a steel structural H beam W 6 x 15 lb
(5.99" x .230 web x 5.99") for 18' or a W 8 x 18 lb (8.14" x .230 web x 5.25") for the 23'. Will those beams suffice to carry the load at he two different openings (18' or 23')?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
3/1/2016
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

It is 1 a.m. Here, can I get with you in the morning?

Sure

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

1. The span of the beam can be either 18 or 23 feet and would be like the beam #3 on the illustration (single story and no basement)
2. The ceiling joist are 15'10" and 9'10", they run from the exterior wall to the wall that I want to remove.
3. No, I have roof loads that are being transferred into the interior walls. Trusses are not factory built.
4. Southern California.
5. Asphalt shingle.
Single story no basement
I am considering using a steel beam; W 6 x 15 lb (5.99" x .230 web x 5.99") for 18' or a W 8 x 18 lb (8.14" x .230 web x 5.25") for the 23'.

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You can use a W8x24 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 18’ span beam. The beam is 6.5” wide and 7.875” deep. It weighs 24 pounds per foot of beam length.

You can use a W10x33 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 23’ span beam. The beam is 8” wide and 9.75” deep. It weighs 33 pounds per foot of beam length.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, determine foundation requirements, and check your structure’s lateral stability due to the fact that you are removing a large portions of wall.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any more questions