Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

In 2009 I had 2 bathrooms remodeled, one being in the

Customer Question
original house, the other in...
in 2009 I had 2 bathrooms remodeled, one being in the original house, the other in an addition that was added on before I purchased house. So, during the bathrooms renovations, I believe a load bearing wall was compromised as I had that bathroom in the addition extended into the original house. I noticed water stains in my bedroom in the original house last year (*thought it was cigarette stains as I smoke in this room). I washed ceiling but stains are back. In January 2016 In the remodeled bathroom that breached the load bearing wall, a water "balloon" formed in the ceiling. Had the roof tarred along the crease where house and addition meet. That stopped the leak in that bathroom. However, I am now hearing dripping in my room and in living room. A contractor came out and said no issue with load bearing wall but he took pictures of room and nails popping out and shingles with holes. Isn't that proof of issue with load bearing wall?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
2/28/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello. I can help. Can I get back to you in a few hours?

Can you post the pictures for me to look at?

How exactly was the wall itself compromised? It sounds like part of it was removed during the bathroom renovation, but how was the balance of the wall compromised?

Do you still need help with this?