Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Just about to finish remodeling my 1968 house. Have a 4x12…

Customer Question
Hello. Just about to finish...
Hello. Just about to finish remodeling my 1968 house. Have a 4x12 beam across the living room with a span of 18ft. There is a 4x4 pole placed 4 ft away from one of the supporting walls, from a small wall we demolished. The question would be, can we take the 4x4 down without affecting the support of the beam? can the 4x12 beam span for 18ft without a problem?. Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
2/23/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello

I can help. Is it supporting a single floor or two? What about an attic?

It's a single story house in Florida, with attic. The room is 16x18, the beam is supporting the 16ft rafters, there's an exterior wall on the other end of the rafters. We were looking for an "open concept" so we took down a small wall but this 4x4 was standing there and we got suspicious because of the span of the beam.
Right now the span of the beam is 14ft. If we take the 4x4 down the span will increase to 18ft.
Question is can we take the 4x4 down or not.
I'm sending pictures
Thanks

Thank you. ***** get back to you in a few hours?

sure, thanks

There are 16' rafters on one side only or both sides?

Only on one side, the one shown in the picture. On the other side the rafters run perpendicular and rest on outside walls. the beam is supporting only the 16' rafters than run to the chimney wall shown on the picture

Do you mean parallel. If they are perpendicular then they are supported by the beam.