Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

You helped with me a question about a month ago. Now I have…

Customer Question
Hi - You helped with me...
Hi -
You helped with me a question about a month ago. Now I have a new question. Do I go though Just Answer again?
This question is about bracing of steel stud walls.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
2/16/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello

I can help. What is your question?

Is there a way i can send you PDF files? it will be easier to explain the question if I can send you the print.

You can attach a PDF through here or you can upload to mediafire.com and post the URL here for me

The question has to do with the REVCLOUD in the attached file. I'll type some notes and send them while the file is uploading.
Please notice the 'new room' on the left hand side of the drawing and the 'new comm closet' near it. These rooms are framed with light gauge steel studs to a height of 8 feet.Toward the right hand side of the drawing are two cross sections, one for each room. Originally the plan showed these rooms to be braced with alternating 45 degree braces at the top, attaching the new walls to the underside of the roof deck approximately 3-4 feet above. Due to the HVAC trunk line near the 'new room' we could only brace one side, and did so at 16" o.c. We did not brace the 'new comm room' walls or the short wall on the 'new room' as they were very short lengths and the carpenter didn't feel it was needed.The inspector said he would accept it if the architect modified the print to show that our 'as built' was acceptable. As you can see, the architect drew the changes but added language that says the modified construction must meet certain stresses. I've contacted the manufacturer but I only get pointed to the ASTM recommended guidelines for bracing, which unfortunately I don't have and frankly are a bit beyond my knowledge base.Can you tell me if the revised bracing is in compliance with ASTM C754?

Unfortunately, that bracing is not stable.

Meaning it doesn't stabilize the top of the wall.

i need to figure out a way to brace around the HVAC duct? If I were to install diagonal bracing at a decreased angle (say, 22.5 degrees) on the duct side, along with the 45 degree bracing on the other side, would that work?
I assume I should brace the short walls also, correct?

A single diagonal won't work. That is not a stable solution. You will need two diagonals coming to the top of the wall. Make one as vertical as you can and do the other at 30 degrees, give or take

Ok. I already have the diagonals on one side at 45 degrees. I'll install the others at as close to 30 degrees as I can get.Can you send me an except of the ASTM standard that indicates this is acceptable? I'll need to show it to the inspector.
I have to step out for a few minutes. I'll check back later.

That doesn't address bracing layout. Bracing layout is about making sure it's stable. If the one in place is near 45 degrees then install the next one as close to vertical as the duct will allow

Okay, I understand about the ASTM document. I should have asked the more appropriate question, "Can you provide me with some documentation that supports what the architect is saying in the REVCLOUD?"

To take the 5 psf load?

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant