Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Needing a bridge on hunting property that may or may not…

Customer Question
Needing a bridge on hunting...
Needing a bridge on hunting property that may or may not support in excess of 10,000 lbs vehicles. Would a shipping container that has the sides and top removed, or a platform container (depending on availability) support that over a 30' span. I am thinking of using a 40' container, possibly two side by side for increased width.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
2/13/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello

Hi!

I would need much more information. What is the shipping container made of? I would need a sketch of all the framing

Not exactly sure myself, I am looking at purchasing a standard container or platform container.
Is it possible to give me an idea of what kind of container I should look for?
Here are some pictures that are similar to the kind I am looking at.
Around here a 40' container is 2500-4000 used. Would it be in my best interest to just purchase the I beams and create the area I need? cost wise. I guess a better question should be, what size I beams should I have to span a 30' opening and how many to make it around 10' wide. to support 10,000 lbs

Let me take a look at what you have and I'll get back to you in the morning.

Awesome, thanks!

Do you have any information on this structure? What the members are?

its too late for me to get them tonight here, I will try and call them tomorrow to get the details on the flat racks. Here are pictures directly from the company. If you cannot view these, just let me know and I can upload 1 at a time in the morning after work. Thanks.

It looks like I beams supported by deeper I beams. If you can get the sizes and spacings, I can check it for you.

Ok, will do. It may be a few days, my wife just had a baby so we are in the hospital right now.

Congratulations!! Take your time and I'll look for it over the next week or so.