Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I recently bought a house built in 1880,im renovating at the…

Customer Question
Hello. I recently bought a house...
Hello.
I recently bought a house built in 1880,im renovating at the moment but i dont now what to do with the floor. Its a 2 story house where i have uneven floors only on the 2nd floor. The living room which sits on one side of the house has a floor that is 1" lower then the middle of the house(kitchen,bathroom,hallway and bedroom)..then on the opposite end the 2nd bedroom sits about 1.5"lower then the middle portion of the house.
On both sides,the floor tilts then levels off,leaving each room floor flat.
I can see that the 1st floor joist spanning the living room sits higher then the rest(at the same hight as the middle of the house). Im assuming this is the same deal with the 2nd bedroom..
By looking from the side of the house,lowerd rooms have joists running perpendicular from this point of view,while the middle portion has floor joists running paralell.
The 1st floor has an even ground.
What could be the cause of this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/11/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello

Can I get back to you in a couple hours?

no probem

There are a lot of things that could cause this. It could have been built that way (it was 1880). It could be differential settlement.

i understand. But i can definetly disregard foundation problems? Since 1st floor isn't affected.what are the other things that could cause this?

The most likely reason is it was built that way. It could still be settlement issues that were addressed on the first floor.

Ok. I looked at the 1st floor joists from the crawl space,and they are level between each section. So i guess only the 2nd floor was built that way.
I can disregard sagging joists?
Could the chimneys have something to do with this also? 1 sits in the living room by the wall seperating low and high floor..on the low side.
The second one sits in the hallway beside the bedroom that is lowered

Sag in the joists is much different than one end being higher than the other.

i should just install a new floor and level it and not worry about further settelment? 140 yrs,you would think its done with that right?

I would monitor it for a a couple months and make sure it's done moving.

What would be the fix if it hasn't stopped moving?

You will need to have an engineer investigate exactly why it is moving.

It could be helical anchors to arrest the movement.