Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

What size Aluminum I beam would I need to span 25 feet with…

Customer Question
What size Aluminum I beam...
What size Aluminum I beam would I need to span 25 feet with an 800 pound load in the center?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2016
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

What is this load from?

A manual chain hoist

Is there a reason you are trying to use aluminum? It will be quite expensive compared to steel.

The customer wants aluminum

OK, let me run some numbers an I will be back with you within about 1 hour, if that is OK.

Great thank you

Sorry for the delay.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You can use an Aluminum Association Standard I-Beam (Alloy 6061-T6), 12" deep by 7" wide and weight of 11.672 lb/ft

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, determine foundation requirements, and check your structure’s lateral stability.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Any word on the beam size? Thanks

The beam size is in my post from 6:33 p.m. last night. Here it is again:

Let me know if you have any questions.

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant