Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I want to widen a load bearing wall opening. As of now the…

Customer Question
hello, I want to widen...
hello, I want to widen a load bearing wall opening. As of now the opening is 56", I want 80" (joist to joist). The load bearing wall sits on a slab and supports the joists that support the second floor. The joists that support the second story are 2"x10" and meet halfway at about 12 1/2 feet at the 2x4 constructed load bearing wall. How many vertical 2x4's are needed at each end of the load bearing wall (to support the beam) and whats the shortest height "I beam" that could be used and/or wood beam construction would be used. I want to minimize (header?) height.
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
let me at that the 2x10 joist is not continuous
add*
1/28/2016
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

It is after midnight here, can I get back with you in the morning?

but I have some time.
I can wait til morning. Thank you

What time zone are you?

eastern

Ok, me too.

I will be able to get back with you by 10 a.m. Tomorrow if that works

great thank you!

Talk to you in the morning

Good morning, have you found a solution?

Sorry for the delay

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Hello.
1. The joist in the picture would be #2 we have a basement but it's a half basement and the load bearing wall that I'm modifying sits on a concrete slab. The opening will be 76" with about an additional 6" on each side to sit on the load bearing wall.
2. Joist 1 is 12'1" and joist 2 is 13'5"
3. I have a "hip roof" the load is distributed to the exterior walls
4. Edison NJ
5. Asphalt shinglesAttached is a picture of what needs widening. The wall to the right will stay the same, for the exception of modification to fit the "new beam/header".Thanks!
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Sorry I don't need a phone call I pushed the wrong button.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Your shallowest depth beam would be a W4x13 (50 ksi) steel beam for your approx. 8’ span beam. The beam is 4” wide and 4.125” deep. It weighs 13 pounds per foot of beam length.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Thank you. Question, what size wooden header would a w4x13 be compared to? And is there a junior beam equivalent?

That steel beam option, is the shallowest member for your configuration. A would beam or LVL would be in the 6" to 8" depth range. I can run some exact numbers for you in the morning if you like. It is about 1 a.m. here right now.

Thanks

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 8’ span beam:

3-1/2” x 7-1/4” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP

3-1/2” x 7-1/4” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 DF

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/locations/#!/building-materials-distribution

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any more questions

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant