Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

We moved into our house 2 years ago and had several cracks…

Customer Question
We moved into our house...
We moved into our house 2 years ago and had several cracks patched throughout the house. Within 6 months all of them were back and some seem to be growing. The front door frame seems uneven and I had shaved the top of the bedroom door so it could close. About a month ago that same door is starting to stick again. I'm concerned that there's a structural problem but it seems concentrated in the bathroom areas. We have two bathrooms back to back in the hallway and it seems they might be sagging. We have a raised foundation. Finally, about a year ago, when it wasn't quite so bad, we had several companies come out to take a look and all three gave us different responses so we were left wondering if anyone really knew what was going on or if they were all guessing.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
1/25/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello

Do you know anything about the structure near the bathrooms?

I only know we're on a raised foundation
we're towards the base of a hill.
Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

All wood structure? Joist size? Joist span?

It a rancher. I'm guessing all wood structure. I don't know joist size or span.
Perhaps you can suggest a list of questions I need to ask to get a good answer (like joist size/span, etc). Or whom to call to get a reliable assessment.

It sounds like a progressive problem. When did it start rubbing again? Temp and moisture increases cause swelling

We moved into the house in December (Southern California - so not freezing temps, but cold). We had the plaster walls patched in the spring. We do have a sprinkler system that waters close to the house and we're trying to address that and convert to a drip system. By the summer the cracks were back. I shaved the door to the bedroom in the fall and now it's sticking again (and there was no rubbing after I shaved the door).

Do you have pictures of closed doors (that rub) that you can share?

I can get them. Stand by.
Here are four
Are you able to see them? Not sure if the file size is okay.
At what point do I decide if I'm satisfied with the help?

I'm looking at the pictures now.

Okay. Thanks.
If you want to look at the house on Google it's***** 91364

These look like cracks associated with vertical deflection of the supporting members. These are difficult to diagnose when you have access to the house. I will think on this and get back to you ASAP. It could be settlement or deflection or possibly something else

Thank you. Could you briefly explain vertices deflection?

When a beam sags, that is vertical deflection. The difference in wood is that it creeps, so deflection increases over time, even if the load never increases

Thanks again. If you have any recommendation for next steps that would be helpful. It seems a lot of companies over the phone want to jump to settlement or hillside issues when I'd like to rule out a rotten support or some other problem.

I agree. They don't mind jumping to conclusions because you're paying for it all. Let me put some effort into this and get back to you ASAP

Sure. Thanks again.
Just checking in today.
Can you give me a timeframe of when you might have more information?
walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant