Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

H beams.. building ramada spanning 24 foot deep x 20 foot…

Customer Question
H beams.. building ramada...
H beams.. building ramada spanning 24 foot deep x 20 foot wide.. with NO roof except for a canvas sheet.. on the 20 foot wide section I will install H beams each 4 foot to span 24 foot length with 4 posts on each corner 10 foot high.. what size and what thickness of H beam do I need .. want to use h beam for looks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/25/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello

Do you want it oriented as an H or I?

Do you have a sketch or drawing? This will impose large lateral forces like a catenary.

I understand but how much cantenary
I can tolerate some
I can tolerate some ...cantenary I am looking to the I configuration.

To do a true catenary analysis would require an additional service. This is a complex and time consuming analysis. Especially when the supports are not rigid.

BYW I sent you couple of rough sketch to the tele number 510

I haven't seen any sketches. My phobe number is ***** listed anywhere.

Never mind.

I can't accept this offer right now. I need to first understand what is requested as the catenary analysis will require a much different additional service.

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant