walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I need LVL sizing. Located in Indianapolis. Removing a 10

Customer Question

I need LVL sizing. Located in Indianapolis. Removing a 10 interior structural wall on the first floor. There is a second story above. Would (3) 9 1/4" LVL's be sufficient to carry this load?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I can help

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1)Beam 2 10'
2)joist span is 8' and 13'
3)roof rafters span to the exterior walls
4)indianapolis, In
5)asphalt shingle
6)2 story with basement
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you an engineered wood option for your 10’ span beam:

Triple 1-1/2” x 9-1/4” Versa-Lam 2.0 2800 DF

This a Boise Cascade product and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/locations/#!/building-materials-distribution

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, check your lateral stability and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any questions.