Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have a 6 inch by 6 inch beam in my basement supported by 4…

Customer Question
I have a 6 inch...
I have a 6 inch by 6 inch wood beam in my basement supported by 4 separate 6 x 6 inch posts. Speaking with a company about replacing posts and beam with steel. Wood is very old (100 years) and showing signs of cracking-but still solid. current code is for steel. Need a beam that is also 6 x 6 but in steel. Will be supported by front and back of building foundation plus 3 columns. Footings will be 3x3x3 for each column. Also, pouring a new 4 inch thick concrete floor with wire mesh. Any specific requirements for concrete specs for a good smooth floor?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello

Do you mind asking the two questions separately?

Which do you prefer to address here?

Steel beams

Will it support one floor or two? What is the joist length on each side? Will it support any ceramic tile? Will it support the attic? What will be the span of the beam?

it swill support 3 floor. The beams run across the 20 foot wide house. This beam is at the 3/4 point where the house has stairs. This is an attached house in Brooklyn. About 100 years old. Most wood floors. Plan is to use 6 inch by 6 inch steel, but I know that their are different grades or strengths of steel. No attic. Beam will be 40 feet long, but assembled in sections.

It will be 40' long and have a post at midspan to span only 20'? There is no 6" steel section that will span 20' supporting 3 floors. I could design a custom shape as an additional service, but no standard shape will even be close.

Hi, Is this still open. I did not see an answer posted. Thanks. Scott
Did you overlook the 3 support columns. This is typical here. Now it is wood 6x6 and has been for 100 years with 4 columns.
In any event. This is not very useful to me. Please issue a refund.
walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant