walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

How much wieght will a 5" x 5" x 5/16" x 13ft angle iron

Customer Question

Customer: How much wieght will a 5" x 5" x 5/16" x 13ft angle iron hold.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We are remodeling our house. We want to take out a load bearing wall. The ceiling joist tie into the north wall. The north wall has a span of 10 ft that is not supported by a wall because of a sliding glass door. The header that is in the attic above this area is just 2-2x12's nailed together. I was thinking of laying an angle iron on the west and east load bearing walls and then butting 2 LVL's on the flat bottom of the angle. This would be 13 ft.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Structural Engineering Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I can help

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you come back online

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent you reple email last nite. Just wondering if you received it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Asphalt heritage shingle. 6-12 pitch, trusses are 2ft on center. Single story with a basement.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want my money back.