Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

LOOKING TO BUILD A 36X60 GAMBREL STYLE BUILDING...WITH

Customer Question
HELLO.LOOKING TO BUILD A 36X60...
HELLO.LOOKING TO BUILD A 36X60 GAMBREL STYLE BUILDING...WITH LIVING QUARTERS AT THE TOP...AND WANT A CLEAR SPAN AREA...WITH NO POSTS OR MAJOR BRACES...LOOKING FOR A HEAVY TRUSS TO PLACE EVERY 8 FT...THEN 2X6 ON EDGE WITH METAL SHEETING
LOOKING FOR THE BEST AND LEAST EXPENSIVE WAY TO GO....IN NORTHWEST PA...THANKS
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
1/12/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello

You want a gambrel truss design?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
8ft on center...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
open too other ideas but want clear span

A gambrel frame is not straightforward and requires connection design to be complete

I can provide an additional service offer to design the gambrel frame and the connections and provide sketches as needed. If you accept the offer, it will take a few days to do the analysis and design on the members and connections.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please understand any material is ok...but would like to go most cost effective ..but proper...I want the truss to go up from the side with no jacks... gussetts ok...want to have from side wall out...and you can make the side angles steep to get more room etc...Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is in Pa I think 40lb per sq...snow load
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you mean,by excepting the offer..........What will this cost...and how do I know it will be, what Im looking for...Thanks

I'm not allowed to discuss cost in here. I will have to submit it for you.

We can do this. You post a sketch of exactly what you want it to look like. I will then design the members as steel, showing all connections, played, sizes, welds...

After you post the sketch I will submit the offer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure how to go about that...do you have an email....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is there an option for wood as well

Wood will be much larger members and more robust connections. I can do one or the other, but not both. You can attach here with the paper clip icon.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which one would be more cost efficient

By the time you consider material, fabrication, labor, and erection - I think steel will cost a little less. The material may cost more, but the erection should go much easier. This is never cut and dry as it often depends on the contractor pool and the local economy.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant