How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask StructuralEng Your Own Question
StructuralEng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 7185
Experience:  Structural Engineer
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
StructuralEng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently purchased a cottage that has 1 beam running the

Customer Question

I recently purchased a cottage that has 1 beam running the width of the cottage and it has carpenter ant damage. It spans 21'6" and sits on top of the largest support wall in the place. It is just 2x4's stacked on top of one another. i want to replace it with a laminated wood beam. It supports the roof which is 2x4 rafters with 1" tongue and groove for roof sheeting. 1st of all can i use a laminated wood beam (1 single beam) and where can i place an order for one if I can use one?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Is this supporting the floor and roof or roof only? What about the attic? What is the joist/rafter span on each side of the beam? What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
roof only no attic. 7' on one side of the beam and 12'6" on the other. 12"6" side is peaked with open rafters and 7' side is slanted flat in lean-too fashion. the rafters and beams on the larger span are separate boards nailed together at the the beam and toe nailed into the beam and the shorter span beams are toe nailed into the larger span beams and the beam i want to replace. it is in Sister Lakes,MI 49047.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

6.75" X 18" glulam 24F-V4

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.

Related Structural Engineering Questions