walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a 21 lb 8 x 5.25in I beam that supports 2x12 floor

Customer Question

I have a 21 lb 8 x 5.25in I beam that supports 2x12 floor joist that span 18 ft from the beam to the outside wall (total span is 36 ft across the basement. They support a
1.25 story home above it (a single bedroom is put under the roof rafters (not trusses) that are on a 6/12 pitched roof. What is the maximum support distance I can put the poles under the beam to support it. I am trying to remove one support leaving a 15 foot span between the poles.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The home is a single story with a bedroom on one end of the home positioned under rafters on one end of the home using 14 ft of the end of the house. Since the roof rafters are 6/12 pitch, with a build up of 1 ft of the height on the exterior wall for insulation to fit under the rafters and trusses (on the rest of the home). Weight bearing for most of the home varies from outside walls to interior walls because of the design as I will explain later.
The beam is in position one.....trying to remove one post leaving a span of 16 ft.
Floor Joist span #1, and 2 are 18 ft, 2 x 12, 16 in centers, floor joist span 3 & 4 are 12 ft, 2 x 8, supported by the outside wall, then an inside wall at 12 ft in, than another inside wall at 12 ft in, then an outside wall 12 ft . The second story room is placed in the middle of the spans of joist 3 & 4, on one end of the home, and has a 4 ft wall parapet wall on both opposing walls, while the other two walls are similar to a gable end. This is the only room that is on the second story, on one end of the home, and is directly over the area in the basement we would like to remove the one post to finish off the basement. The roof is asphalt, architectural shingles, just replaced 3 years ago, new, one layer and has a 6/12 pitch. 1/2 inch osb roofing sheeting, rafters on this end of the home. The rest of the home is a combination of rafters and trusses but 20 ft of the trusses are bearing 8 ft INSIDE the outer wall due to a 13 ft ceiling room in the middle of the home, and about 12 ft of the trusses are bearing on the outer walls. I attached your drawing and some changes. call me(###) ###-####with any questions. Thanks,
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

1. Are you saying you a W8x21 steel beam in your basement? This beam is 8.25" deep and 5.25" wide.

2. Does the steel beam in the basement have any joints in it over any of these support posts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I answered the questions already. Just refund the charges if you don't have an answer.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I have not been paid for this question.

I will send a message to customer service to refund any deposit you may have been charged.

Sorry I could not help