walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have to span 20 feet to support the roof and ceiling. The

Customer Question

I have to span 20 feet to support the roof and ceiling. The open area is 20' x 17'. I have calculated the dead load weight of all the roof and ceiling materials at 3,350 lbs or 10.5 lbs/sq ft. What size of beam would I need to support this?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I can help

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you come back online

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Walkereng,I am back online, I will be here for the next 2 hrs. Tomorrow I can monitor this during the day.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would be beam #3, but the beam is supporting one side of the pitch in the center between the pitch, and outside wall. The ceiling would be vaulted up to the peak of the roof at one end, and rest on the exterior wall on the other end.The joists are 24" on center. No roof trusses. Ceiling is pitched with roof. Location is Grants, NM. Snow load would be very similar to Santa Fe, NM. One story house. Roof/ceiling combination is 16' x 20' (320 sq ft). The roof and ceiling consist of 1 course of asphalt shingles (Owens Corning), covered by 26 gauge metal panels. Under the shingles is 1X12 pine boards this is supported by 12 2"x4"x16' spaced on 24" centers. There is also 12 2"x8"x8' joists, and an additional 2"x4"x8' joists. The ceiling has 1/2" sheet rock. The joists sit on bearing walls 8' on each side of the Beam. The beam spans 20'. Don't ask how it is constructed this way. It is too complex to explain. This is a total list of the materials on the roof and ceiling.