StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Need 8in beam span is 22feet outside wall to outside wall is

Customer Question

need 8in beam span is 22feet outside wall to outside wall is 22-4
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have my question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there

What is the beam supporting? One floor? Two? Attic? Roof?

Is the beam in an exterior wall? Inside? What is the joist length on each side of the beam?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one residential floor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
beam is on interior wall -beam to outsidewall 11-2 in both directions

Thank you. Will it support any ceramic tile?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no

For an 8" deep beam, you will need a W8x40. It's 8" deep x 8" wide and weighs 40 pounds per foot.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there anyway to strengthen the existing 8w17-what we want to do is move one post which will change the spans from 12-8 and 12-8 to 22-0 and 3-4

Yes, there is a way to do that. It will involve welding plates to the existing beam. I can design the reinforcement and welding requirements as an additional service. I would also include a sketch and a recommended procedure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does it make sense to do it rather than replace with 40# *****?

I would expect the reinforcement to be a little less expensive. It will have much less material cost, but that will be offset by increased labor and installation. The savings will come with not having to shore the joists from the attic to the basement for reinforcing the beam. The beam staying in place will be the shoring

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what has to be done to reinforce

It would involve welding plates to the existing beam to get the section properties where they need to be given the existing and superimposed stresses to be applied. I can do that as an additional service and provide sketches with plate information and welding requirements as well as a recommended procedure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what would that cost me

I'm not allowed to discuss cost in the chat. I can submit the offer for you to consider. If you accept the offer, I will work on it today and post everything you need by 10 pm today. It will most likely be sooner, but I do have some family commitments today and that is a safe time to commit to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok submit offer

I just submitted it for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ill have to talk with owner and get back to you

No problem. The cost will be more than offset by saving on the shoring costs. Probably tenfold.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would we weld on just the web or the flanges also

almost certainly to the bottom of the bottom flange and bottom of top flange. There is likely no welding required to the web for added shear reinforcement.

The flanges are where the added material is most efficient.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok hang in there-let me talk to owner tomorrow

No problem. Take your time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would load have to be taken off beam before plates can be welded?

I would design the reinforcement so that is not the case unless the existing beam happens to be stressed to the point where that is not possible. I don't expect that to be the case, however.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just talked to builder-he has seen it done where two more webs were welded to outside of flanges--does this make sense?

That very rarely adds enough strength. That would work for a very minor over stress, not significantly increasing the span. The reason I beams are shaped that way is because the material in the flanges are so efficient in bending

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thought anything in vertical position was much stronger than in horizontal position-builder thought welding two 8inch plates was solution-do you know how many plates (how much welding would have to be done)

The vertical position alone is stronger, but the welding creates a composite section. I won't know what size plates or how much welding until I do the analysis.