Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

Im looking to make a wider opening in what is essentially an

Customer Question
exterior wall of our house...
Im looking to make a wider opening in what is essentially an exterior wall of our house. (previous owner added and extra way that we would like to open up completely) the total width of the opening will be 12' on the first floor of a 2 story house with at basement. Im trying to figure out what size LVL bean i will need to use to make this work.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/17/2015
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello

How are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you

Cool what other info do you need from me?
Do you need any more information from me?

This will support the second floor, attic, and roof?

What is the hoist length supported by the beam? What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading? Will it support any ceramic tile?

It will be supporting a second floor and unfinished attic space. The second floor will have a bathroom supported by it that does have a tile floor. Im in Springfield (central) Illinois. Im not sure what you mean by hoist length.
I should clarify the attic, is unfitted and usable for storage, and of course there is a roof on top as well
sorry unfinished and unusable

Joist length.

The joists are 14' they sit on a 2x6 center wall in the house and the outside wall. The house is about 27.5' wide with the joist overlapping each other on the 2x6 wall in the center. All other walls are 2x4 construction. To my knowledges none of the joist are continuos from outside wall to outside wall.

You will need a 7" x 11.875" 2.2E LVL

Its a 2x4 exterior wall, its needs to be 3.5"x ? to fit in the wall....

3.5" x 16" LVL

Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant