walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

What size manufactured floor joist[12" 14"16"] is needed 24

Customer Question

what size manufactured floor joist[12" 14"16"] is needed for a 24 ft, span lite storage?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Is this for a residential use with an approximate light storage Live Load of 20 to 30 psf

Or is this a commercial use with a light storage Live Load of 125 psf?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
residential
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 24’ span floor joists:

16” BCI 60-2.0 DF at 16” o.c.

14” BCI 90-2.0 DF at 12” o.c.

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/locations/#!/building-materials-distribution

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions