Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I'm want to remove 6 support posts in my shop that support

Customer Question
the up stairs floor, roof...
I'm want to remove 6 support posts in my shop that support the up stairs floor, roof etc. The shop is 40' x 70' and the up stairs is 16'x 70', centered. The up stairs has 2 existing I Beams spanning 70 ft with 2x12 floor joists between them.The six posts and exterior walls support the entire up stairs and roof. I would like to replace posts with Steel I beams that would run perpendicular to existing Ibeams with a clear span of 40 Ft. So when completed, the up stairs will be supported by 3 steel beams and the exterior walls of the shop. The proposed Ibeams will only be loaded in the middle 16 ft and can only have the top flange lateral support at the ends and at existing I beams that support the upper level. The proposed beams will be space with one beam in the middle and the other two will be about 17 ft from exterior walls, This up stairs is stick framed with interior walls and sheet rocked.
I need some help on sizing these three proposed I beams please
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
12/3/2015
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello

Hello
Can you under stand what I want to do
I found some w16 x45 that could save some big money, would this work

Yes. Can I get back to you in a couple hours?

You bet

I'm trying to visualize your description, but it's not perfectly clear. Can you please post a sketch of your framing so I can give you the best answer possible?

What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading?

City and state
Dolores, Colorado

Thank you for the additional information. I'm looking through it now

when do you think you will have a answer for me

Hello. I posted a bunch of information a couple days ago. I see it didn't take and I will have to repost it.

Can you please repost the I beam sizing information, I would like to move forward with this project, I need to order steel by friday morning
Are you done, are you going to respond back at all
walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant