How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask StructuralEng Your Own Question
StructuralEng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 7135
Experience:  Structural Engineer
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
StructuralEng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We've decided to go with the W5x16 ASTM A992 Gr. 50 you

Customer Question

We've decided to go with the W5x16 ASTM A992 Gr. 50 you suggested earlier for our 10' span opening in a load-bearing wall. Can you tell me what we need on each end for support, including the fastener requirements? We had planned to use 1/2" particle board
between two 2x6's for trimmers on each side. We would laminate them together for added strength. But I'm not sure if we need to use steel posts instead, and what the specs would be. I also don't know how we would secure the posts to the i beam and the floor
plate, whether they're steel or wood. Let me know if you need any of the former information and drawings I gave to you last time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I can help. Can I get back to you in a couple hours.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, thanks
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

I would use a single 4x6 post on each side. You can have holes punched in the bottom flange and lag screw through the beam into the top of the post.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

You should also have a stiffener on each side over the post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you be more specific? i.e. What species of wood is acceptable, how many lag bolts and of what size on each side and how far apart. Or anything else that an inspector would expect us to know. Also what's a "stiffener"? Is this the same person I worked with before?
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am the same person. I remember your question. You can use Doug-fir no. 2, which is pretty easy to come by.

A stiffener is a plate welded between the flanges to the flanges and the web.

You can use 3/4" lag screws, 2 at each end (4 total - one on each side of the web at each end of the beam.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah, ok, I attached a pic of what I think you're talking about. So it would be a little less than 2" from the end to be centered on the 4x6, right? I assume the steel forgery would be able to do that and drill the holes. Is there anything else I might need to specify for the opening? We're applying for the permit on Monday :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plus what length lag screws? I learned from you that all of these things make a difference - like how far to space screws or what species of wood to use!
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is a picture of a stiffener. The holes would be in the bottom of the beam, and only 2 at each end, not 4, but it's the right idea. 3" of thread penetration with a 2 3/4" beam gauge for the spacing. The fabricator can drill the holes and add the stiffeners. Now that I'm thinking about it, make it an end plate, that way the stiffener doesn't impede your ability to install the lag screws. Be sure to predrill the wood for the lag screws so you don't split it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For flush end plate stiffeners, the stiffener is assumed to be half the thickness of the beam flange." is this what we need and the correct thickness of the stiffener?
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

That is acceptable

Related Structural Engineering Questions