Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Existing joists overloaded. Have a two story on basement.

Customer Question
Current 1st floor joists are...
existing joists overloaded. Have a two story on basement. Current 1st floor joists are 2x10 (nom lumber) spanning approx. 15' at 16"o.c.. All good except there is a 1st floor wall at approx. half this span that supports 2nd floor and roof. Of course, this has caused the 1st floor joists to fail as it is designed for a single floor load but is carrying two floors and a roof. I need to know what size LVL beam I can install perpendicular under the existing joists, directly under two story bearing wall. this area has sagged about 1"-2" over three joists.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/14/2015
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello

That's a big problem, as you can see. What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading? What will be the span of the beam?