walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I'm thinking about a shed to store tractor, lawn mower and

Customer Question

I'm thinking about a shed to store tractor, lawn mower and attachments, etc. in Rhode Island. I'd like to clear span the front about 20-22' and maybe use a glulam or lvl beam.
Snow load is 30#.
Is this feasable and what size glulam or lvl beam would I need?
Thanks,
Ray.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I can help

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any kind of sketch you can share with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet - would be a simple post and beam, leanto shed. ~8-10' high at the front and 6' at the back, 14-16' deep, 6x6 posts built up from PT2x6.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you a few engineered wood options for your 22’ clear span beam:

5-1/4” x 14” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 DF

3-1/2” x 16” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 DF

5-1/8” x 13-1/2” Boise Glulam 24F-V4/DF

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/locations/#!/building-materials-distribution

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections and determine foundation requirements.

The 2 Versa-Lam options need to be protected from the weather.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you come back online

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you come back online and if you still need help.