Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I'm putting in a w8-18 steel beam next to the 2x8 3ply fir

Customer Question
hi there I'm putting in...
hi there I'm putting in a w8-18 steel beam next to the 2x8 3ply fir beam how far can I span with no centre support joists are 2x8 16"centre center of spam is 12 feet
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/18/2015
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

question 1 new beam but I want to put to existing beam
question 2 12'
question 3 clear span of exterior wall 24" overhang
question 4 Cold Lake Alberta
question 5 asphalt
question 6 single story w/basement
is there going to be an answer for this question

Sorry for the delay, we had some Birthday festivities going on today. I am looking at your information right now.

So you have a single story with a basement, is the proposed beam in the basement supporting the floor joists, or is the proposed beam on the 1st floor supporting the ceiling joists?

its supporting floor joists

One more question, the best way for me to check you floor beam is for you to tell me how far you want to span and then I can run numbers with your configuration.

What is the span you want for your steel floor beam that will support your 1st floor joists?

Let me know when you come back online.

from exterior wall to centre is 12feet and length of beam is 17feet
I guess the span is 12 feet
do you have an answer from me I'm waiting thanks

Sorry for the delay.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Since you say the exterior wall to the center of the beam is 12' and the beam length is 17', I am using 17' as your beam span.

A W8x18 steel beam will not work for your 17' span.

You can use W8x24 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 17’ span. This beam is 6.5" wide, 7.875" deep and weighs 24 pounds per foot of beam.

This is assuming that your beam carried to load from the 1st floor joists and your ceiling joists. I ASSUMED THAT NO ROOF?SNOW LOAD WILL BE CARRIED BY THIS PROPOSED BEAM.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know when you come back online

Let me know if you have any questions

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant