walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Why does my furniture (bed) and rugs slowly slide away from

Customer Question

Why does my furniture (bed) and rugs slowly slide away from the wall towards the center of the room? There must be a slope to the floor. What is causing this situation? Thanks.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I can help

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any picture of the bed and room that you can share with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a picture. The bed in our master bedroom. The bed is up against the outside wall on the second floor. The most movement is related to the lighter furniture and rugs. It seems when we walk in the room it must cause the rugs to move in the direction as the slope on the floor. I don't know why it would move towards the center of the room unless the floor is on a slope.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Do you feel any flex or bounce in the floor when you walk on it? Do small items on your nightstand jiggle when you walk by them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No bounce or jiggle. However, the top drawer to our nightstand which is also against the wall has the tendency to slide open much easier than other drawers not against the wall.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

What type of flooring do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wood flooring. The tract house was built by Drees which is a major home builder in the area we live in Northern Virginia.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

To get a quick idea if your floor is truly sloped, you need to get a couple of marbles or small hard balls and place them along the wall in question and see if they start rolling freely away from the wall. This is a simple way using gravity to see if the floor is actually sloped.

You can also purchase a longer 4' or 6' level and lay it on the floor. If it shows sloping, you can raise the end of the level till the bubble shows level and measure the amount you had to raise it up. That will give you the number of inches the floor drops in the 4' or 6' of your level length.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this amount sloping natural? Is there any recourse I have against the builder to get it fixed? I'm assuming this is not an easy fix. The house is now 12 years old and we are not the original owners. This was not identified by the home inspector when we originally bought the house.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

It is not natural to have a sloping floor.

Realistically, I do not think you will be able to get the builder to pay for repairs, but you can always try.

If you remove your flooring, there are some systems that can be used to float the floor (add material to) to make it level.

The 1st thing I would do is try my marble test and long level test to quantify your feeling of the floor being unlevel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have been a wonderful help. Thank you so much. Is there a way I can do the level test and get back with you?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the question will remain open and you can just reply to my last e-mail to give me your findings. Talk with you soon.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Any luck with your findings?

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I am still here to help when you are ready.