StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I am planing on installing a beam into my attic in order to

Customer Question

Hello, I am planing on installing a beam into my attic in order to remove a exhisting wall that runs down the center of my living space. The intent is to remove 11' of exhisting wall. I plan on install a 16' beam made up of 3 2"x10' boards bolted together setting on top of the ceiling joists. the joist are 2x6 x12'. The house is 24' wide. the joist are currently joined together with a plywood nailer and are setting on top of the silplate. I intend on bolting a 8" 2x6 to each of the 13 joist that the beam will cross. then before taking the wall out I have bought 4"x14" face mount joist strong tie joist hangers to hanf on each side of the beam @ each joist. I will remove nessecary drywall and secure the beam to each joist. Enough or overkill?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.

I can help. Can I get back to you in a couple hours?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sure thanks

A triple 2x10 pressure treated southern pine no. 2 will work for you.

It's a little over sized, but you can't get down to a double.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A pressure treated has more strength then non treated pine?

No. But the pressure treated is a good idea in an attic space that will see very high humidity levels.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Do you have any other questions on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.