How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask StructuralEng Your Own Question
StructuralEng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 7135
Experience:  Structural Engineer
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
StructuralEng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Perth Western Australia I would like to remove one

Customer Question

I live in Perth Western Australia
I would like to remove one of the 120x120mm post in my carport/garage to open up the space so my son doesn't keep banging the door when he opens it.
Currently the total span is 5200mm cut into 2 by 3 posts with a middle post at approx 2600 mm. The 3 posts are the 120x120. The beam and posts here in WA I think are either Jarrah or Karri. The beam is 5200 x 160 x 55 mm.
I think if I replace this with similar size beam in RHS we should be able to cover the 5200 in only length with out the extra post.
Is this possible? Or will I need a bigger beam? If I need bigger what size?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'll be happy to assist you.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a dimensioned sketch you can post for me to review?

Related Structural Engineering Questions