Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I have two cement slabs right next to each other that were

Customer Question
constructed inaccurately. They sit...
I have two cement slabs right next to each other that were constructed inaccurately. They sit on soft soil clay and have creep over time the structural repair company wants to put piles along the outer slab and foam under the inner slab. These slabs are only moving laterall. Do I need both systems?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
9/17/2015
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Can you explain your building details a bit more?

Do you have any pictures you can share with me?

I am unable to send an appropriate picture because the slabs are inside the house and covered with wall to wall carpeting.I want to put piles around the outside of the house in the direction that the slabs are moving but want to make sure that will cover both slabs. They are both moving in the same direction.

so they are moving/migrating in a horizontal direction

If the piles go down to bed rock would I need foam injection under the middle pile?
Are you still there?

Sorry for the delay.

The foam jacking and piles serve different purposes.

The foam jacking will fill any voids under your slab and then possible lift/level your slabs to a certain level.

Then I would assume the piles would be used to retain the slab from moving in the horizontal direction.

I would think the foam jacking would be a reasonable procedure to make sure all possible causes/issues are addressed.

I hope this helps.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each appropriately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

I guess what I am asking is can the piles stop the movement of both slabs that are right nest to each other and moving in the same direction? I do not think there are voids under the slabs and I plan to level the slabs later. They are in the middle of my house and I do not to trust lifting them> Thanks

They could be designed to resist both of the slabs if one slab is pushing on the other. The only issue I might see is to make sure that the inboard slab pushing on the outboard slab would not crack either slab at the interface between the two.

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant