How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask StructuralEng Your Own Question
StructuralEng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 7312
Experience:  Structural Engineer
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
StructuralEng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a 5.125 x 18" Glulam beam spanning 30' supporting

Customer Question

We have a 5.125 x 18" Glulam beam spanning 30 ' supporting one half of a foot bridge to our front door and the end is rotten . We are hopeful of repairing the rotten end and not replacing the whole span. The bridge contruction consist of glulam beams, 1/2 " sheathing, vapor barrier and shingles.
Do you have any suggestions?
If we need to replace the beam do you recommend a treated structure?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.

Hello. How are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you. Can I get back to you in an hour?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.

How much of the end is rotten?

What is the width of the bridge? Is the glulam beam pressure treated?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
About 36"
No, the glulams are not treated.
The bridge is 60' long, 60" wide. There are two pilasters or bridge support. The total structure span is supported with two 3.125 x 18" x 15' glulams from each endto the pilasters and two 5.125 x 18" x 30' glulams supporting the center portion.
When putting the damaged area back together I plan to coat the sheathing with Asphalt Emulsion, regular felt and the sticking material used when installing exterior windows over the top and down about an inch in order to keep the water out. The very top of the bridge wall is covered with some wood trim that would be caulked and screwed into place.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.

If the beam is not pressure treated, I strongly recommend replacing it with a treated beam or it continue to rot. There may even be rot that you don't know about

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.

Hello, do you have any other questions for me on this topic?