StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

Can I safely run garage ceiling joists perpendicular to the

Customer Question

Can I safely run garage ceiling joists perpendicular to the door?
In my new home's garage there are only 2 joists that run parallel to the door & they are both sagging due to a poorly hung garage door opener, 1 was notched and is now cracked. I don't believe either are load bearing (if that is possible). The tops of the studs/walls are low along with the door header as well which is why the previous owner had to notch the joists.
I was hoping to remove the old joists and install @4-6 new joists perpendicular to the door and frame a section for the door opener
The garage is around 20×20, 2 car and the wall parallel to the door has a window.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I can help.

Do you have any pictures you can post for me to see? You can attach them here with the paper clip icon.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to see my original post? If not I can copy/paste

I can see the original post, but there are no images attached

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm currently not at the property, this is all I have right now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can try and get more pictures shortly if that one isn't enough.

Wow. That's a very poorly framed roof. The structure is very light

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hah, yes it's a little scary. The joists parallel to the door are not doing much besides holding up the door opener.

Yes, you can run joists perpendicular to the door. You will need to ensure that the header can take the additional load if they impose any new loads on the garage door header

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a way to know if it can take the load? And should I sister extra studs on each side of the garage door or is that overkill?
I was only planning to us around four 2×4 using joist hangers, I don't think it will change the weight by much more than what is currently there.

If you sketch out all of the framing with dimensions I will look at it