StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I am having my basement finished. I currently have 9.5 x 5.5

Customer Question

I am having my basement finished. I currently have 9.5 x 5.5 supports. There are 4 lolly columns in between every 6 feet to support that. The room is 25x25. I have a kitchen above that and above the kitchen is a large deck. what size steel I beam do I use...size and pounds per square foot?
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have three of the 9.5 by 5.5 supports.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.

Hello, how are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you. Do you still want a phone call?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
please,(###) ###-####

I will submit that additional service offer for the phone call. If you accept before 10:30 pm EST, I will call tonight. If it's after 10:30 pm EST, I will call in the morning.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, thank you. Could you just answer the question. Thanks

Do you want a shallow steel beam with the same supports or do you want to remove supports?

Is there any ceramic tile?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, we are going to pour concrete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We want to remove the supports

So you want the beam to clear span 25'?

And the floor is going to be concrete?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we have a 25 foot spam with the lolly columns. I want it to be low profile and sandwiched. what kind of I beams do I use to support it. Could i use lbl with metal insides..will that be sufficient to support the house?

The lowest profile you will get will be a steel I beam. A flitch plate beam will be much heavier and less efficient.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im not sure what a flitch plate beam is. I was told by a freind that LBL works well, but I am not sure. If I go with the steel I beams what size do I go with?

An LVL works well, but it will be VERY deep to span 25'

Supporting just a single floor, you will need a 5.25" x 18" 2.2E LVL to just barely work for L/240 total load deflection.

A steel beam would be a W10x39 or W12x30. The first is 10" deep and the second is 12" deep. The steel beams require the joists to be detailed to brace the beam against lateral torsional buckling.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry but could you elaborate on what you mean by VERY deep. I am not a contractor, I am just gathering information for my husband who unfortunately is at work right now. I am going by the details he has given me, i apologize.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could you please dummy it down for me. Thank you, ***** ***** apologize again. What he has told me is that our basement currently has 9.5 by 5.5 supports. There are 4 lolli columns in between every 6 feet to support that. The room is 25by 25. We are having concrete poured-right now it is a dirt floor. On the first floor of the house, I have a large kitchen. Above that on the second floor, There is a large deck. What size I beams do I use...size and pounds per square foot.

Very deep is the 18" I listed in the size immediately following that sentence.

Oh, it's supporting two floors, not just the one? That will require a bigger beam.

You will need a 7" x 24" 1.8E LVL to limit total load deflection to L/240 supporting the two floors and a non-storage attic.

A steel beam would be a W14x43 (14" deep and 43 pounds per foot). This will need the joists to brace the beam against lateral torsional buckling.

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.