StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I'm building a stand to store wire rope out of .25 wall 2 x

Customer Question

I'm building a stand to store wire rope out of .25 wall 2 x 2 square tubing. How much weight will a 30 inch length of that sized tubing support attached at one end with the other end free?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.

As a cantilever?

I will assume that the load is uniformly distributed and limit the look to the capacity of the HSS. You will, however, need to consider the connection and whatever is supporting the cantilever.

That can hold approximately 1400 pounds uniformly distributed over the 30" and will deflect approximately 0.2" (assuming an infinitely rigid rotational support and connection)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Square tubing is butt welded into another .25 wall 2 x 2" tube with a 2.5" triangular gusset at the joint. That tube is also welded to another .25 2 x 2" square tube. The structure is kind of like an engine stand. My intent is to store approximately 760 to 800 lbs of wire on each stand. Inclosed is a pic of the prototype.

As long as the weight isn't biased to the edge of the cantilever, it's fine. And also as long as no other loads are introduced, and as long as the welds are full joint penetration welds. There are factors of safety that make up for some deficiencies, but you don't want to rely on them in that way.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The load will be spread across the cantilever. It will also be moved around loaded with a forklift.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My intent is to keep the weight of the structure below 200 lbs. Right now it weighs about 160 lbs. there's 18' 4" of .25 wall 2 x 2 tubing and 8' 8" of .25 wall 4 x 4" angle in each structure.

The cantilever can definitely handle the load. The rest of the frame appears robust enough to handle it, too, but I can't say for sure without doing a complete analysis of the entire frame....and also ensuring that it meets the overall stability criteria with the factor of safety of 1.5

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's pretty stable, the OD of the coils of wire are between 28" and 30". The top of the cantilever is 32" above the base and will be 38" above the ground. The base is 36" x 52" but we might reduce it to 36" x 48".

It also depends on how the base lays out compared to the load for the stability.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The load will conform to the shape of the base. The coils of wire will be hung on the cantilever. The intent is for it to hold four 75' coils of 1 1/8" x 75' steel core wire rope.

I don't know what you mean with the first part.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The best way I can describe it is that the four coils of wire will fit on to the cantilever with about 4" to spare. The base extends past the cantilever 11" on each end. On the 36" wide part the distance between the top of he cantilever and the outside edge of the structure is 36.715" on each side. If you made a triangle by drawing a line from the top of the cantilever to the outside edge of the base, then across the base and back to the top of the cantilever it would form almost an equilateral triangle. The angles would be 58.7155 degrees at the top and 60.6422 degrees at both bottom angles.

The base should be wider than the top in all directions to ensure stability

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
32" tall and 36" x 52" base.

Not just bigger, but the base must be wider than the arm in all directions. It can be bigger and not extend further in all directions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The base extends past the arm 11" on each end, and 17" on each side.

Then that will be fine.