walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a 20 ft lol beam spanning 20 ft in garage there is a

Customer Question

I have a 20 ft lol beam spanning 20 ft in garage there is a room above the garage.i need extra clearance in the garage so I was wondering if I cut 6" of the bottom of the lol and then added a 1 3/4 " lol to it would that be strong enough
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
1. Do you have any kind of rough sketch you could share with me, so I can make sure I fully understand your configuration?
2. You say "lol" above several times, do you mean LVL?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry autocorrect yes a lvl beam.so i wanted to cut 6 inches off the lvl in the garage as i need ceiling clearance to install a car lift.then my idea was to nail a 12 inch lvl to the one i cut down to 12inches.the beam that is there is a 16 in by 6 inch wide.would this give me enough support.
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay, I have had a really hectic last couple of days! I will look at your information this evening and get back with you.