StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I'm removing a 20' load bearing wall in a -level home in

Customer Question

I'm removing a 20' load bearing wall in a bi-level home in NJ. The wall supports one floor and the roof. I've determined a 1/2" flinch plate sandwiched between two 2" x 8" x 20' would be adequate. What is your advice?
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
How did you determine a 1/2" plate with the 2x8s will work. That seems very small and I don't believe it will work when I check it.
That size flitch plate beam is not even close to working. How did you arrive at the conclusion that beam is acceptable?
I can size a flitch plate to minimize the depth, but it will be deeper than 7.25" deep.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What information do you require to determine the correct thickness and number of flitch plates,while using 2" x 8" x 20'?
You can't use 2x8s. The plate thickness is too much - over 3". If you want to stick with that depth you will need a custom I beam designed and it will be very heavy and inefficient.
I can offer the custom I beam design as an additional service.