walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am building a covered patio on my home in Buffalo, New York.

Customer Question

I am building a covered patio on my home in Buffalo, New York. (14224). the patio will be approximately 14 x 20. the orientation of the covered patio is 14' out from existing 2 story house and 20' along house. I will construct a gable roof using 2x10 lumber with a min 4/12 pitch. gable ridge would be center of the 20' span. I will use 2x6 ceiling joists 22' long which will support 7/16 OSB and vinyl soffit material. this entire structure will stand on 4 points. two points will be tucked into existing framing and blocked solid down to existing house poured concrete foundation. the other two points will be sitting on 12" Sono tube dug 48" into existing virgin soil(clay) concrete with 4 vertical #5 rebar. My question is about "beam" or header sizing. height is not an issue since the patio steps down 7" from existing house. what size lumber or lvl's should I use in the two locations extending out from house?
distance is 13'6" from face of house to center of Sono tube.
also will a solid 4x4 post be sufficient in the two outer locations on the sono tubes or should this be done with a steel station post with the adjustable thread?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 years ago.
Hello, how are you doing? I'll be happy to assist you. Can I get back to you in a few hours when I'm at my computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes. I would like a link to the tables you use to determine the sizing to attach to the sketch I will submit to the town for my permit.
thank you in advance.
Thank you. I don't use tables. I can provide hand calculations as an additional service if you them to submit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
more information for when you get a chance.
4/12 pitch asphalt shingles
un heated area
on east side of dwelling being blocked from most of weatherwhen figuring this out let me know minimum option and also glulam option. I will most likely over design it but I need to know minimum in order to do it.
Will you have any storage in the attic space? Do you want me to submit the additional service offer for the calculations?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no storage above.
no for the additional service but it seems to be an opinion without it.
It's not an opinion. The numbers are the numbers
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes but the numbers are not national, they are local. and codes sometimes are open to interpretation. I don't think I even need the source as long as your numbers are based on local building codes. or at least state code. never mind don't answer the question at all. its a simple question I will just ask my local inspector
It is national. Every building code relies on material standards for specific material design. The NDS IS the wood building code, because it is incorporated into every building code as a referenced standard. So NY has a different building code than CA, but they both reference the same material standards. That would be absurd to have different material building codes in every jurisdiction. Good luck with your project.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how much snow load in CA? pretty sure you would have to take that into consideration and that would determined by region not national. this is why I would have wanted to know where your info came from,
All environmental loads (wind, snow, ice, seismic) come from ASCE 7, again a national standard adopted by every building code. Some codes include their own environmental loading data, but I've never seen a circumstance that is not consistent with ASCE 7
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
way too much unnecessary info. by the time I get an answer my building department will have opened. at 12:31 you asked for a few hours it has been 6 now and your just stuck on the opinion comment. I really don't want to deal with you any longer, the only reason i am back is for a refund from this "service". cant seem to find out how to cancel