Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

My House is built with Trusses and I want to remove a loadbearing

Customer Question
interior wall What size Laminate...
My House is built with Trusses and I want to remove a loadbearing interior wall What size Laminate beam will I need to Support a 20 ft span.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
7/10/2015
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Is the wall supporting a roof? Floor? What is the hoist length on each side of the wall? Is it supporting any ceramic tile?
I have been told the construction is a double queen truss on 24" centers The trusses are 2x4 and are 40ft long. The wall is in the center running perpendicular to the ceiling joist part of the truss Not sure what hoist length is so I would say yes to roof support
What is the city and stay so I can look at snow loading?
I am in Houston Tx and have not seen snow in 20 years
You can plan for a 7" x 20" 2.0E LVL to limit deflection to about 1/2"
Thank You; That sounds awful large I don't think I am explaining what I have good enough. All my construction books tell me I should be able to do this with 3 2x12s bolted together. I thought a laminated beam would be smaller and stronger.
How about if I decided to go with metal. Would it help if I sent you pictures.
Just wanted to say in case it made a difference this is Single story.
Pictures will help. But a 20' span supporting a 20' tributary width is not even close to working with a triple 2x12. What construction book is telling you that will work?
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant