Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I have an stage opening of 24 ft and carries only a metal roof,

Customer Question
what size LVL should I...
I have an stage opening of 24 ft and carries only a metal roof, what size LVL should I use to span the 24 ft.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
7/1/2015
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 2 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
What is the rafter span on each side of the beam? What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading?
There are 8X8 posts at each end of the 24 foot opening. This is a stage which is 24 ft wide by 16 ft deep. We want the 24 ft front opening to be open without the need of a middle post for support, so as not to interfere with the view of the stage. The roof will be made of 2X6 and 20 ft. long for each rafter,(overhang in front and back) then we will use 2X4 lumber every 2 ft. coming up those rafter as the support to screw the metal sheeting to. It is in Quincy, IL
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
What is the rafter length on each side of the beam?
the overhang is 3.5 ft. the rest of the 20 ft is sloped down. Please just call me tomorrow on my cell phone(###) ###-####
We are not supposed to share personal contact information without an additional service. I will size the beam for you now
You can plan for a 7" x 14" 2.0E LVL to limit deflection to span/240
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant