Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I am removing an interior load bearing wall and want to replace…

Customer Question
I am removing an interior...
I am removing an interior load bearing wall and want to replace with a steel I beam as putting a double 2x8 would not give me enough head clearance in the room I am opening up.
How do I determine what size beam to use for an 11 foot span? There is one story above the span of where the current load wall is (double 2x4 top and bottom, 2x4 every 16"
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/30/2015
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 3 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you
I can size the beam for you, but prefer not to get into engineering lessons online. Is that reasonable?
What is the joist span on each side of the beam?
Will it support any ceramic tile?
Is there a wall above it to support an attic?