Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

How do you install expantion joints into and existing core…

Customer Question
How do you install expantion...
How do you install expantion joints into and existing core filled block wall.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/23/2015
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 3 years ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Why do you need to install expansion joints in an existing wall?
the wall is approxamatly 40 meters long with no exspantion joints.
Do you mean control joints?
Yes ,control joints
How old is the wall?
The wall is only 1 year old.I have just terminated the builder and had a full building report by an indipendent building consultant .
He has listed the boundry wall has no control joints in it at all.
The VBA require one every 10 meters
At this point, you'll need to sawcut the wall vertically.
Do i need to saw cut the wall all the way through the block ?
If i was to saw cut the block wall vertically,what is going to hold the wall together?
are you still there
I apologize for the delay. It was 2 am here and I fell asleep
This will depend somewhat on the design of the wall. Generally, CMU control joints are full depth, so you should saw cut all the way through. If, however, they would need to have bars continuous across the control joints then you will need to reduce the depth of cut to not cut the horizontal bars.
If the wall is a year old, most of the shrinkage cracking has already happened, so cutting control joints at this point will probably not provide much benefit.